Paris – French President Francois Hollande has been elected to a second five-year term.
More than 100 people were killed in the attacks on the satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo and the offices of satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo, and a further 20 were killed at a kosher supermarket in a terror attack in a kosher grocery store in the French capital.
President Hollande has promised a “difficult, difficult period” for France and he has promised to do everything in his power to protect the nation’s security and freedoms.
“There is a lot of work to do.
We will do everything possible to protect our people,” Mr Hollande told the French media.
France has also been hit by a wave of terror attacks, most notably a shooting rampage by gunmen at the offices the satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo in Paris on January 7.
The gunmen targeted the offices where Charlie Hebdo staff were writing caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad.
They also killed 12 people, including six police officers.
The attack was the deadliest in France since November 2015 when a gunman opened fire on the offices as part of a series of attacks on French satirical weekly magazine Charlie Hedbo.
In a statement on Sunday, the French prime minister said that Mr Hollande was to take the lead on the protection of France and its citizens.
“France is now at the same level as it was during the attacks of November 2015,” he said.
Paris has a long history of terror and terror attacks.
There has been a long period of uncertainty about whether France will have a new president in five years, especially if he comes from the far-right Front National (FN), the third largest party in the National Assembly.
A French court earlier this month dismissed a complaint by the far right group against a former French minister who has accused him of inciting the Charlie Hebdo attack.
The court found that the former minister had not committed an act of terrorism and the former justice minister had been an accomplice.
The former justice, Thierry Gourlay, has claimed that he was the instigator of the Charlie Haigneux attack, saying that the attack was ordered by a high-ranking officer in the Defence Ministry.
He is also accused of having paid a man in Afghanistan to carry out the attack.
Mr Gourayle was also the minister for defence in the Socialist government of President Francois Mitterrand in 1993.
He was the only member of the cabinet who had any direct contact with Charlie Hebdo editor Stephane Charbonnier.
Mr Goutlay, who is also the director of the National Museum of France in Paris, said in a statement he had no idea why he was accused of being an accomplishter.
“It’s a scandal,” he added.